Menu

Hawley House, The

This house, the oldest in the Bay of Quinte district, was built about 1785 by Captain Jeptha Hawley (1740-1813), a Loyalist from Arlington, Vermont. The Lawley’s, an old Connecticut family, had sent several representatives, including Jeptha’s father, to the legislature of that colony. Jeptha joined the Royal Standard in 1776, served under General Burgoyne and was later in charge of Loyalist refugees at Machiche, Quebec. In 1784 he settled here in Ernestown Township. The stone portion of this building was added between 1787 and 1799 as quarters for the Rev. John Langhorn, the district’s first resident Anglican clergyman.

Location

On the grounds of the house, 531 Main Street, Bath

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: County of Lennox and Addington

Municipality: Township of Loyalist

Themes