Menu

Hay Bay Church 1792

In 1791, William Losee, an itinerant preacher, organized in this district the first Methodist circuit in Upper Canada. This meeting house, Upper Canada’s first Methodist chapel, was built in 1782. Enlarged in 1834-35, it was used for worship until about 1860 after which it served as a farmer’s storehouse. In 1910 in recognition of its historical significance, it was reacquired and restored by The Methodist church and is still used for annual services by The United Church of Canada.

Location

On the grounds of the church, Hay Bay Road, about 4 km north of Adolphustown

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: County of Lennox and Addington

Municipality: Town of Greater Napanee

Themes