Menu

Heathfield

The house which stood near this site was constructed prior to 1841, and purchased in 1865 by Prof. James Williamson of Queen’s University. His wife, Margaret, was a sister of Sir John A. Macdonald, who became the first prime minister of the Dominion of Canada. Prof. Williamson leased the building to the Conservative leader, but retained a portion for his own use. Macdonald installed his unmarried sister, Louisa, in the house, and it served as his residence during his visits to Kingston 1865-1878. Later "Heathfield" was occupied by the Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul, and was demolished in 1964.

Location

Near the site of the former house, Princess Street or County Road 2, at the western approach to Kingston

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: County of Frontenac

Municipality: City of Kingston

Themes