Menu

Henry John Cody 1868-1951

Born at Embro and educated at Galt Collegiate Institute, this distinguished churchman and educationist graduated from the University of Toronto in 1889. Ordained to the Anglican ministry in 1893, he was rector of St. Paul’s Church, Toronto, from 1899 to 1932. He was appointed Canon in 1903 and Archdeacon of York in 1909. A member, and later chairman, of the board of governors of the University of Toronto, he was Ontario’s minister of education, 1918-19. He played a vital role in the administration of the University as president, 1932-45 and chancellor, 1944-47. His outstanding contributions in the fields of education and religion were recognized in 1943 when he was created a C.M.G. by King George VI.

Location

In Memorial Park on St. Andrew Street, Embro

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Oxford

Municipality: Township of Zorra

Themes