Menu

Hillcroft 1853

Built in 1853 by a mayor of Kingston, Francis Hill, this house, during the 1860s and 1870s, was the residence of Alexander Campbell (1822-1892). A member of the Legislative Council of the Province of Canada and delegate to the Quebec Conference which led to Confederation, he was a life-long political associate of the Dominion’s first Prime Minister, John A. Macdonald. Campbell held several cabinet posts after Confederation, was knighted in 1879 and, from 1887 to 1892, was Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario.

Location

At the house, Hillcroft Drive, off Union Street, Kingston

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: County of Frontenac

Municipality: City of Kingston

Themes