Horning's Mills

In 1830, Lewis Horning, a successful settler from the Hamilton area, located in this vicinity with his family. He cleared 80 acres of land and built a sawmill, grist-mill and frame house, but later returned to Hamilton. With the opening of a government road through the district in 1848, the few families who had settled near Horning were joined by others and a post office was opened in 1851. The locality's excellent waterpower attracted industry and by the closing decades of the century the village boasted six to seven mills, various tradesmen and shopkeepers, a public school, three churches and approximately 350 inhabitants.


On the grounds of Knox Presbyterian Church, River Road, just off Highway 24, Hornings Mills

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: County of Dufferin

Municipality: Township of Melancthon