Huron Fish Weirs, The

In the adjacent Narrows joining Lakes Simcoe and Couchiching are the remains of Indian fish weirs. They were noted by Samuel de Champlain when he passed here on September 1, 1615, with a Huron war party en route to attack the Iroquois south of Lake Ontario. The weirs consisted of large number of stakes driven into the bottom of the Narrows, with openings at which nets were placed to catch fish. These weirs (claies) caused Lake Simcoe to be named Lac aux Claies during the French regime. Their remains were noted by archaeologists as early as 1887, and their location was partially charted in 1955.


At the Mnjikaning Fish Weirs National Historic Site of Canada along Bridge Street on the east side of Atherley Narrows, Orillia

Region: Central Ontario

County/District: County of Simcoe

Municipality: City of Orillia