Jarvis Collegiate Institute

Established in 1807 as the Home District Grammar School, Jarvis Collegiate is one of the oldest public secondary schools in Ontario. In 1812 the Reverend John Strachan, later first Anglican Bishop of Toronto, became headmaster and during the next decade he laid the groundwork for the school's outstanding reputation. An excellent teacher and ardent advocate of higher education under church supervision, Strachan attempted to imbue his students with strong religious principles and insisted upon a rich and varied curriculum. Under his direction the grammar school gained wide recognition for its high academic standards and eminent graduates. After his departure the collegiate moved to various sites and underwent several name changes until this structure, designed by C.E. Dyson, was completed in 1924.


In front of the present school building, 495 Jarvis Street, Toronto

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: City of Toronto (District)

Municipality: City of Toronto