"King" Capron 1796-1872

This house was built in 1831 by Hiram Capron, a native of Vermont who, in 1822, had emigrated to Norfolk County where he helped to establish one of Upper Canada's earliest iron foundries. He settled here at the Forks of the Grand in 1829, divided part of his land into town lots, and in 1830 constructed a grist-mill. The following year, he renamed the community "Paris." In 1842, with other partners, he purchased the nearby gypsum deposits which he built into the village's primary industry. His leadership in founding and developing the town earned him the nickname "King."


In front of his former home, 8 Homestead Road, Paris

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Brant (District)

Municipality: County of Brant