Kingston Observatory, The

The first optical astronomical observatory in the province, the Kingston Observatory was established in 1855 after a solar eclipse aroused public interest in astronomical studies. Under the auspices of a committee of British military officers and "gentlemen amateurs" a frame observatory was built here. It was transferred to the control of Queen's College in 1861 and within a year a new brick structure had been erected on the site. Staffed by Nathan Fellowes Dupuis, an able mathematician, the observatory, in addition to making conventional astronomical observations, produced barometric and thermal readings, fixed meridians for surveying and provided a time service. In 1881, it was moved to Queen's and today four cylindrical stones, former supports for the telescope, are all that remain of the old observatory building.


At the site of the former observatory, City Park, Stuart and Barrie Streets, Kingston

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: County of Frontenac

Municipality: City of Kingston