Menu

Lac La Pluie House 1818-1903

The Hudson's Bay Company established Lac La Pluie House on this site in 1818. It was renamed Fort Frances in 1830 after a visit by Hudson's Bay Company Governor Sir George Simpson and Lady Frances Simpson. An important supply depot for expeditions travelling to the West and for early settlers in the district, Fort Frances became a Hudson's Bay Company store in 1898 and was destroyed by fire in 1903.

Location

At the original site of the fort, 145 Third Street West, Fort Frances

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: District of Rainy River

Municipality: Town of Fort Frances

Themes