Lang Mill, The

In 1846, Thomas Short, later member of the Parliament of Canada for Peterborough County, erected this stone flour mill here on the Indian River. Within five years he had built a sawmill across the river and had laid out a village plot named Allandale. By 1858, the Allandale Flour Mill, which now also housed an oatmeal mill, had become one of the largest in the region and was exporting large quantities of its products. Short encountered financial difficulties, however, and lost possession of the mill in 1862. The village and the mill were renamed Lang after William Lang about 1872. The mill, whose interior was rebuilt by W.J. Humphries after a fire in 1896, continued in operation until 1965 when it was purchased by the Otonabee Region Conservation Authority.


At the restored mill, now part of a museum complex, County Road 34, about 3 km north of Keene

Region: Central Ontario

County/District: County of Peterborough

Municipality: Township of Otonabee-South Monaghan