Law Society of Upper Canada 1797, The

Following the introduction of English civil law into this province in 1792, legislation was passed in 1797 authorizing the establishment of the "Law Society of Upper Canada". A founding meeting was held in "Wilson's Hotel" in this community on July 17, 1797. It was attended by ten practitioners, including the Attorney General, the Hon. John White, who was appointed Treasurer, the Society's principal officer. One of its major functions was the regulation of admission to the province's legal profession, and later it became responsible for the training of lawyers. In 1832, the Society moved into its newly-constructed quarters "Osgoode Hall" at York (Toronto), where the Society continues to regulate and control Ontario's legal profession.


Opposite 142 Queen Street, near the site of the former Wilson's Hotel, Niagara-on-the-Lake

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake