Lawson Site, The

About 1500 A.D. a Prehistoric Neutral (Late Ontario Iroquois) Indian village occupied this site. Archaeological excavations suggest that it was an agricultural community covering 4-5 acres and housing approximately 1,000 inhabitants in communal longhouses. Strategically located so that protection was provided by steep slopes leading down to Medway River and Snake Creek, the village was heavily fortified in exposed areas by palisades, earthworks, ditches and lookout platforms stockpiled with rocks. Although the existence of the site was known in the nineteenth century, the first extensive excavations were undertaken in 1921-23 at which time it was named after the Lawson family who then owned the property. In 1969, the land was donated to The University of Western Ontario to ensure preservation of this important heritage resource.


At the entrance to the reconstructed native village, east of the London Museum of Archaeology, 1600 Attawandaron Road, London

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Middlesex

Municipality: City of London