Menu

Lieutenant-Colonel James Rogers 1726-1790

Born in Ireland, Rogers emigrated with his family to New Hampshire in 1740. During the Seven Years’ War he served in the Queen’s Rangers (Rogers’ Rangers), a provincial corps raised by his brother Robert, and was present at the capture of Louisbourg and of Quebec. In the American Revolution he commanded the 2nd Battalion, King’s Rangers, thereby forfeiting some 50,000 acres in the old colonies. In 1784 he led a party of about 300 disbanded King’s Rangers and their families to this vicinity where they were granted land. Rogers, who first settled in Fredericksburg where he became lieutenant-colonel of the militia, lived for a time in Prince Edward County, but returned to this township before his death

Location

On the grounds of St. Paul's Anglican Church, Highway 33, Sandhurst - just east of Adolphustown

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: County of Lennox and Addington

Municipality: Town of Greater Napanee

Themes