Long Point Portage, The

The portage across the isthmus joining Long Point to the mainland was an important link in the canoe route along the north shore of Lake Erie. First recorded in 1670 by two Sulpician missionaries, the portage was used steadily until 1833 when a storm broke a navigable passage through the neck of land.


Just inside the entrance to Long Point Provincial Park, in the vicinity of the former portage, at the foot of Highway 59

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Norfolk (District)

Municipality: Long Point Provincial Park