Loring-Wyle Studio, The

This board-and-batten building, originally the schoolhouse for Christ Church, Deer Park, was acquired in 1920 by Frances Loring and Florence Wyle. Sculpting in the classical tradition, they achieved national prominence and executed many impressive public works, among which are Loring's Sir Robert Borden on Parliament Hill and Wyle's Edith Cavell in Toronto. They were founding members of the Sculptors' Society of Canada and their studio was an important artistic centre where musicians, writers, sculptors, painters, and patrons of the arts congregated. When Frances Loring and Florence Wyle died in 1968 they bequeathed their studio to the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts. The sale of the building allowed the Academy to establish a trust for the development of Canadian artists.


On the grounds of the former studio, 110 Glenrose Avenue, just east of Mount Pleasant Road, Toronto

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: City of Toronto (District)

Municipality: City of Toronto