Magnetawan Lock, The

The lock at Magnetawan, built by the Ontario Government, 1883-86, was replaced in 1911 by the present concrete structure. The original stone-filled timber cribwork measured 112 by 28 feet. The lock raised or lowered steamers about ten feet, enabling them to run between Ahmic Harbour, ten miles below Magnetawan, and Burk's Falls, twenty miles above it. In the quarter-century following its completion, an average of 704 passages were made through the lock by steamships each season. Notable among those ships were the "Wenonah" (1886), "Glenrosa" (1891), "Wanita" (1896), "Glenada" (1904), and "Armour" (1906). The "Mike", the last steamship by ply these waters, was removed from the river about 1934.


Near the lock, Highway 520, Magnetawan

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: District of Parry Sound

Municipality: Township of Magnetawan