Magnetawan River Steam Navigation

The first steamboat on the Magnetawan River was the 34-foot "Pioneer", built in 1879 for service between Magnetawan and Burk's Falls, a distance of 20 miles. In 1886, a lock was completed at Magnetawan, enabling steam service to be extended an additional 10 miles to Ahmic Harbour. Other steamers came into service, notably the "Wenonah" (1886), "Glenrosa" (1891), "Wanita" (1896), "Glenada" (1904) and "Armour" (1906). These and others provided the only efficient means of transporting passengers and freight from this landing at the railhead in Burk's Falls to the scattered settlements along the river. However, the advent of the automobile doomed these colourful craft, the last of which, the "Mike", ceased operation about 1934.


Near the boatlaunch in Burks Falls Park, Highway 520, Burks Falls

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: District of Parry Sound

Municipality: Village of Burk's Falls