Menu

McFarland House 1800, The

This house was built in 1800 by James McFarland on land purchased about 1795 by his father, John McFarland (1757-1814), who was described as “His Majesty’s boat builder”. One of the Niagara District’s finest residences, it was used during the War of 1812 as a hospital by both British and United States forces. A British battery was emplaced behind the house to command the river. In 1813 John McFarland was taken prisoner by the Americans following their capture of Fort George. When he returned in 1814, much of his property had been destroyed and the house badly damaged.

Location

On the grounds of the house, Niagara River Parkway, just south of the East-West Line, south of Niagara-on-the-Lake

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake

Themes