Mission of the Immaculate Conception 1849, The

In 1849, two priests of the Society of Jesus, Father Jean-Pierre Choné and Father Nicholas Frémiot, established the Mission of the Immaculate Conception on the Kaministiquia River. From there, the Jesuits traveled the north shore of Lake Superior on missionary journeys. They also supported Ojibwa demands for compensation for Indain lands acquired by the Crown in the region. Within five years, the Mission, centred in an Indian village of about 30 dwellings, had a large church, a day school, and numerous outbuildings. Four Sisters of the Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary arrived at the Mission in 1870 to teach and establish an orphanage. By 1908, the Mission had moved to sites located on this Reserve.


On the lawn in front of St. Anne's Church on Mission Road, about 0.5 km (0.3 miles) south of City Road in Fort William.

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: District of Thunder Bay

Municipality: Fort William First Nation