Muskoka District Court House 1900

Bracebridge has been a centre for the administration of justice in Muskoka since it held the first court sessions in the region in 1868. The province built this court house after Bracebridge became the District Town of the new District of Muskoka in 1898. It is an early example of a style of court house built by Frank R. Heakes, who became chief architect in Ontario's Department of Public Works in 1896. Its classical form and red-brick, two-storey design also distinguish Heakes' later court houses in Kenora, Fort Frances, Haileybury and Sault Ste. Marie. These prominent public buildings proclaimed the significance of the justice system in the civil administration of the province.


At the court house, 3 Dominion Street, Bracebridge

Region: Central Ontario

County/District: District Municipality of Muskoka

Municipality: Town of Bracebridge