Nelles Settlement 1785, The

Captain Hendrick Nelles was one of several loyalists invited by the Six Nations, on the advice of Joseph Brant, to settle on the native tract bordering the Grand River. Nelles and his family took up land in Seneca Township and by 1828 about 30 families were established on his land.


On the grounds of St. John's Church, Highway 54 and Nelles Road, within the area of the former settlement, York

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Haldimand (District)

Municipality: County of Haldimand