Newash Indian Village 1842, The

Following the Indian treaty of 1836, a Reserve along the western shore of Owen Sound was set aside for the Band headed by Chief Newash. In 1842, the Indian village of Newash, established here previous to the founding of the adjacent community of Sydenham (now Owen Sound), was rebuilt by the government. It contained fourteen log houses, a school and a barn. Wesleyan Methodist missionaries ministered to the Indians, and in 1845, a frame chapel, the predecessor of the present church, was completed. In 1857, the Reserve, containing some 11,000 acres, was ceded to the government and most of the Indians moved to Cape Croker.


In front of the First United Church - the site of the former Indian chapel - 4th Avenue West at 21st Street, Owen Sound

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Grey

Municipality: City of Owen Sound