Norfolk County Court House and Gaol

The original courthouse was built on this site by 1842, and the gaol, designed by the prominent Toronto architect William Thomas, was constructed in 1848. Following a fire in 1863 which destroyed the courthouse, the present structure was designed by John Turner of Brantford and completed the following year. The gaol and new courthouse were both constructed by Jackson Bros., local builders. The courthouse with tall round-headed windows, corner tower and accentuated masonry is typical of the Italianate style in the province at that time. In 1861 a county office had been erected on the square's south corner and in 1893 a new structure replaced an earlier north corner office. Architecturally the courthouse, gaol, and registry offices constitute an almost unrivalled grouping of public buildings in Ontario.


On the grounds of the court house, Colborne Street, Simcoe

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Norfolk (District)

Municipality: County of Norfolk