Northern Railway Company of Canada, The

In May 1853, the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron Union Railroad Company ran the first stem train in this province from Toronto to Aurora. By January 1855, the company had completed its 95-mile "portage line" from Toronto to Collingwood. The line was renamed "The Northern Railway Company of Canada" in 1858. Companies closely affiliated with the Northern built connecting lines to Meaford, Penetanguishene and Gravenhurst. Through the Northern sought traffic moving between the upper lakes and Lake Ontario and Atlantic ports. Mainly grain from the U.S. Midwest, much of its freight was firewood, farm produce and timber from along its own lines. In 1888, the Northern was absorbed by the Grand Trunk Railway Company.


On the grounds of the the former railway station, now a museum, St. Paul Street, Collingwood

Region: Central Ontario

County/District: County of Simcoe

Municipality: Town of Collingwood