Menu

Old Trinity 1842-1881

The first Anglican church in Lambton was built on this site 1841-42 and, for many years, its bright tin steeple served as a guide to mariners on the St. Clair River. The land was donated by Thomas Sutherland who had founded the community of Sutherland’s Landing (now Mooretown) in 1833. The first rector was the Reverend Alexander Pyne, and it was consecrated by Bishop John Strachan in 1845. In 1863 a new church was built and the original Trinity demolished in 1881.

Location

At the site of the former church, in the old Sutherland Cemetery, Mooretown - about 15 km south of Sarnia on County Road 33

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Lambton

Municipality: Township of St. Clair

Themes