Ontario Agricultural College, The

The portico was the entrance of the Frederick W. Stone farm house, the building in which the first classes of the Ontario School of Agriculture were held on May 1, 1874. Renamed the Ontario Agricultural College in 1880, this institution, the first college established on the University of Guelph campus, was affiliated with the University of Toronto in 1888. A Provincial Act of 1962 created the Federal Colleges of the Ontario Department of Agriculture, comprising the Ontario Veterinary College, and the MacDonald Institute; these, in 1964, formed the nucleus of the newly established University of Guelph. Through it research and innovative ideas the Ontario Agricultural College has contributed greatly to the development of the country's agricultural industry.


Near the Johnston Arch, the portico of the farmhouse in which classes were first held, Gordon Street and College Avenue, University of Guelph, Guelph

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Wellington

Municipality: City of Guelph