Ontario Ladies' College

Opened in 1874 by the Governor-General, Lord Dufferin, the Ontario Ladies' College was established in "Trafalgar Castle", former residence of Nelson Gilbert Reynolds, Sheriff of Ontario County. Built in 1859, "Trafalgar Castle" was visited in 1869 by Prince Arthur and Sir John A. Macdonald. The college, under the jurisdiction of the Methodist Church, offered a diploma, and matriculation for university entrance. Additions to the school were named in honour of Dr. Egerton Ryerson in 1877 and Lillian Frances Massey Treble in 1895. The Rev. J.J. Hare served the college as principal from its opening until 1915. Guest lecturers at the school included Lucy Maude Montgomery and Bliss Carman. Since 1925 the college has been associated with the United Church of Canada.


In front of the school, now called Trafalgar Castle School, 401 Reynolds Street, Whitby

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: Regional Municipality of Durham

Municipality: Town of Whitby