Osgoode Hall

In 1829-32, the Law Society of Upper Canada erected the east wing of this imposing building. Named after William Osgoode, the province's first chief justice, the Regency structure housed law courts and judicial offices, and provided accommodation for lawyers and students. It was severely damaged during the six years in which provincial troops were stationed here following the Rebellion of 1837. Plans for its reconstruction were drawn up by Henry Bowyer Lane, an accomplished Toronto architect, and in 1844-46 the west and central portions were erected and the east wing remodelled. In 1857-60, the celebrated architectural firm Cumberland and Storm rebuilt the centre section. Later extended and renovated, Osgoode Hall remains one of the finest examples of Victorian classical architecture in Canada.


On the grounds of the hall, 130 Queen Street West at University Avenue, Toronto

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: City of Toronto (District)

Municipality: City of Toronto