Paris Plains Church 1845

Built by the free labour of its own congregation with stones gathered from nearby fields, the West Dumfries Chapel was completed and dedicated in 1845. It is a fine example of a type of cobblestone construction seldom found elsewhere in Canada, and introduced into this area about l838 by Levi Boughton, an American builder. The first minister, the Rev. John Law, served from 1845-47, and the church remained active in the Methodist Conference until services were discontinued in 1921. The building was restored in 1948 as a memorial to the pioneers of the community.


On the grounds of the church, Concession Road 3, east off County Road 24A, north of Paris

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Brant (District)

Municipality: County of Brant