Parish of St. Raphael, The

A mission of the Roman Catholic Highlanders of the Raisin River settlement was begun in 1786 by the Reverend Alexander Macdonell (Scotus) and later a small frame church, called the "Blue Chapel" was built. St. Raphael's Parish was officially recognized in 1802. The existing stone church, a fine example of Canadian neo-classical design, was begun in 1821 by the Most Reverend Alexander Macdonell, who had been appointed to St. Raphael's in 1804, made Vicar General of Upper Canada in 1807, and consecrated Bishop of Rhesina in 1820. From 1807 to 1826, when Macdonell became Bishop of Regiopolis (Kingston), St. Raphael's was the administrative centre of the Church of Upper Canada.


At the ruins of the church, King's Road, St. Raphaels

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry

Municipality: Township of South Glengarry