Parry Sound District Court House

The court house for the Territorial District of Parry Sound, established in 1870, was the first of a series of early northern court houses built under the direction of Ontario's Department of Public Works and its chief architect, Kivas Tully. Erected in 1871, the modest frame building contained a second-floor court room and main-floor jail and registry office. Increased settlement soon imposed greater demands on the court house and in 1889, an addition housing a larger court room was built. This addition and the rear wing built in 1921-22 were constructed of brick and designed more elaborately than the original structure and reflected the provincial government's recognition of the north's growing importance. Subsequently altered, the building continues to serve as the District's judicial centre.


On the grounds of the court house, 89 James Street, Parry Sound

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: District of Parry Sound

Municipality: Town of Parry Sound