Pendarves - Cumberland House

Renowned Toronto architectural firm Cumberland & Storm designed this building as the family home of senior partner Frederic W. Cumberland. Completed in 1860 and named Pendarves, the original Italianate villa-style structure stood on spacious grounds with its main entrance facing east towards the new University of Toronto campus. In 1883, it was substantially redesigned by William Storm. After the 1912 closure of Government House on Simcoe Street, Toronto, the Ontario Government leased Pendarves as the temporary official residence and receiving rooms for the Lieutenant Governor. It was first occupied by Sir John Gibson until 1914 and then by Sir John Hendrie until the 1915 completion of Chorley Park, Toronto, the last and most opulent vice-regal residence. Acquired by the University of Toronto in 1923 and eventually renamed Cumberland House, this is a rare surviving example of Cumberland's residential work, and is significant for its use as the residence for the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario.


In front of Cumberland House, 33 St. George Street, Toronto.

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: City of Toronto (District)

Municipality: City of Toronto