The Attignawantan ("Bear Nation") of the Huron confederacy occupied the Penetanguishene peninsula prior to their dispersal in 1649 by the Iroquois. In 1793, Lieutenant-Governor Simcoe chose Penetanguishene as the terminus of a military route from Toronto. Construction of a naval base began in 1814. British troops were transferred here in 1828 when Drummond Island was returned to the United States. With them came families of French-Canadian voyageurs and Métis. George Gordon, Dédin Révol and Dr. David Mitchell were among the first settlers to build homes at Penetanguishene. The military and naval establishments stimulated the community's early economic growth; later, fishing and lumbering became important industries. In 1882, Penetanguishene was incorporated as a town.


In the Chamber of Commerce Park, Main Street, Penetanguishene

Region: Central Ontario

County/District: County of Simcoe

Municipality: Town of Penetanguishene