Penetanguishene Road, The

The course of this road from Kempenfeldt Bay to the site of Penetanguishene was first surveyed by Samuel Wilmot in 1811. Dr. William (Tiger) Dunlop supervised its construction in the fall of 1814 and, although frequently impassable for heavy loads, it served for many years as a supply route to the garrison at Penetanguishene. Under a system of free grants, most of the land immediately adjacent to the road was settled 1819-1830.


On Hugel Avenue, a section of the old Penetanguishene Road, just off Highway 93, Midland

Region: Central Ontario

County/District: County of Simcoe

Municipality: Town of Midland