Menu

Perth Road, The

This road was surveyed in 1852 to encourage settlement of the isolated townships lying between Kingston and Perth. It was begun and completed as far as Loughborough Lake in 1854 by the Kingston & Perth Road Company, whose president, Alderman A. J. Macdonell of Kingston, was a law partner of John A. Macdonald. Though passable over its 50-mile length as a winter road by early 1855, the road was still largely incomplete by 1859-60, when lawsuits brought against the Company resulted in the disposal of its property at sheriffs’ sales. Maintenance of the road was taken over in 1874 by the provincial Crown Lands Department and ultimately by the counties through which it passed.

Location

On County Road 10, about 1.5 km south of Westport

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: United Counties of Leeds and Grenville

Municipality: Village of Westport

Themes