Menu

Pic Fur Trading Post, The

Alexander Shaw & Company of Montreal were trading on the Pic River as early as 1778, but the first post recorded in the vicinity was that which Gabriel Cotté established by 1792. Cotté was succeeded about 1795 by a trader names St. Germain, and the post was shortly thereafter taken over by the North West Company. The Pic was frequently a stopping place for canoe travellers making the circuit of Lake Superior, among them Alexander Henry, Sr., 1775; Daniel Harmon, 1800; David Thompson, 1822; and John Henry Lefroy, 1843. With the union in 1821 of the North West and Hudson’s Bay companies, the post was taken over by the latter, which operated it until 1888.

Location

Near St. Xavier Church, off Park Road, Pic River First Nation, near Marathon

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: District of Thunder Bay

Municipality: Pic River First Nation

Themes