Queenston Baptist Church, The

By 1808, the Rev. Elkanah Holmes, a missionary from the United States, had organized the first Baptist congregation in Queenston. Following the War of 1812, the congregation declined, was reorganized in 1831 and, between 1842 and 1845, erected this rough-cut limestone structure as its church. It is an early and interesting example of the Gothic revival style in this province. The church had closed by 1918 and in 1928 was sold to the Women's Institute, which occupied the building until 1954. In 1970, it was acquired by Dr. Djamal Afrukhteh, who donated it to the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake. After a fundraising campaign by the Queenston Community Association, the building was renovated and in December 1972, was officially opened as the Queenston Library and Community Centre.


At the former church, 32 Queenston Street, Queenston

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake