Red Lake House

In the summer of 1790, the Hudson's Bay Company sent James Sutherland from Osnaburgh House to establish a post on Red Lake. Duncan Cameron of the North West Company was already trading there. Although competition in the fur trade was intense, at times violent, the traders on Red Lake stayed on friendly terms. By 1806, when the HBC closed Red Lake House, the post had been at five different locations on the lake. The HBC returned from 1816 to 1822, then abandoned the area until 1918, when trading was established on Post Narrows. Red Lake House relocated closer to town to supply prospectors during the gold rush of 1925-26, then moved to this site in 1933.


In front of the municipal offices, 117 Howey Street, Red Lake

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: District of Kenora

Municipality: Municipality of Red Lake