Regiopolis College

Regiopolis College, incorporated March 4, 1837 by an Act of the legislature of Upper Canada, opened in the central portion of this building. Its cornerstone was laid by the school's founder, Bishop Alexander Macdonell, on June 11, 1839. In 1866, the College was given full degree-granting powers, although these were rarely used. Financial difficulties forced its closing in 1869. In 1892, the building was acquired by the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph who opened here the Hôtel Dieu Hospital. The school reopened on King Street in 1896 and, in 1915, moved to the northern part of the city. In 1931, the diocesan clergy transferred the College to the Jesuit Order.


On the grounds of the hospital, 123 Sydenham Street, Kingston

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: County of Frontenac

Municipality: City of Kingston