Menu

Reverend John Langhorn 1744-1817, The

Born in Wales, Langhorn was appointed missionary to Ernesttown and Fredericksburgh townships in 1787. He thus became the first resident Anglican clergyman in the Bay of Quinte region, and the second in what is now Ontario. Although of somewhat eccentric character, he proved to be a tireless supporter of his faith during the twenty-six years he served in this area. He was largely responsible for the erection of St. Paul’s Church at Sandhurst in 1791, St. Warburg’s in Fredericksburgh in 1792 and the second St. John’s at Bath in 1793-95. The hardships he endured undermined his health and Langhorn returned to England in 1813.

Location

On the grounds of St. John's Anglican Church, one of the parishes he served, 212 Church Street, Bath

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: County of Lennox and Addington

Municipality: Township of Loyalist

Themes