Sacred Heart College

The Society of Jesus opened a classical college at this site in 1913. The next year, the province granted Sacred Heart College a charter giving it degree-granting powers. At first, the college was bilingual, but after 1916, it taught exclusively in French. Sacred Heart College became a centre for the education and formation of young Franco-Ontarian men. In 1957, it changed its name to the University of Sudbury, which became the Catholic component of Laurentian University in 1960. The Jesuits continued to teach secondary school here until 1967. Sacred Heart College played a major role in the development of the Franco-Ontarian community of northeastern Ontario.


Near the original college buildings, Notre-Dame Avenue, Sudbury

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: City of Greater Sudbury (District)

Municipality: City of Greater Sudbury