Sainte-Anne des Pins

An important centre of the Roman Catholic Church in northeastern Ontario, Sainte-Anne-des-Pins was established as a mission by Jesuits in 1883. A log church, now the presbytery, was built to serve as a school, as well as a place of worship for the congregation, and to provide a base for missionary work in Manitoulin Island and Sault Ste. Marie and settlements along the Canadian Pacific Railway. Active in community life, Sainte-Anne's played a prominent role in fostering the development of Franco-Ontarian culture in the region. It was erected a parish in 1889 and remained the only Roman Catholic congregation in Sudbury until 1917. Housed in the present structure since 1894, Sainte-Anne's continues to be active in cultural affairs.


On the grounds of the church, 40 Beech Street, Sudbury

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: City of Greater Sudbury (District)

Municipality: City of Greater Sudbury