Menu

"Schooner Town"

The Nottawasaga River formed part of a transportation link between Lake Ontario and the upper Great Lakes, which became a vitally important supply route to British western posts during the War of 1812. The base of operations for the Royal Navy’s vessels on Lake Huron was located here at the foot of navigation on the river from 1815 to 1817. Buildings to house the base were erected in October 1815 by the ship’s company of H.M. Schooner “Confiance.” Within two years, orders were issued transferring the naval establishment to Penetanguishene, where superior anchorage was available, and, in late 1817, the naval base at “Schooner Town” was abandoned. In 1976, management of the site became the responsibility of Wasaga Beach Provincial Park.

Location

In Schoonertown Parkette near the site of the former base, River Road West and Oxbow Park Road, Wasaga Beach Provincial Park

Region: Central Ontario

County/District: County of Simcoe

Municipality: Wasaga Beach Provincial Park

Themes