Scott's Mills 1820

Near this site in 1820, the community's first resident, Adam Scott (1796-1838), built a sawmill and a gristmill. The small settlement that grew around them was known as Scott's Plains until 1826 when it was renamed in honour of Peter Robinson. Although of primitive construction, the mills were of great benefit to the early settlers, including the Irish emigrants brought out by Robinson in 1825. Scott relinquished possession of the mills in 1827 and in 1835, they were destroyed by fire.


In front of the Peterborough Canoe Company near the site of the former mills, Water Street, Peterborough

Region: Central Ontario

County/District: County of Peterborough

Municipality: City of Peterborough