Settlement of Puslinch, The

Originally known as the "Church Lands", Puslinch Township was named by the lieutenant-governor of Upper Canada, Sir John Colborne, after Puslinch, his wife's birthplace in Devon, England. Extensive settlement followed the land surveys made by David Gibson between 1828 and 1832. Edward Ellis, who had settled in Puslinch in 1839, had donated one acre of his land to the trustees of the Sterling Congregation of the Wesleyan Methodist Church. The Ellis Chapel was erected on this site in 1861 through devoted community effort, and for many years church services and a non-denominational Sunday School were held here. It remains today as a monument to the pioneers of Puslinch Township.


At the Ellis Chapel, Accommodation Road or Givin Road, Puslinch Township - about 4 km east of Cambridge

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Wellington

Municipality: Township of Puslinch