St. Andrew's Church 1812

This building, the oldest remaining stone structure in the province erected as a church, was completed about 1801. Many of the pioneer settlers in this area were Roman Catholic Highlanders, ministered to by the Rev. Roderick Macdonell, the missionary at St. Regis. The church was built under his leadership, with the assistance of a prominent local settler, «Spanish» John Macdonell, who obtained contribution for its construction from members of the North West Company and other fur traders. It was used as a hospital during the War of 1812, and served its congregation until replaced by the adjacent church in 1860. Simon Fraser and Sandfield Macdonald are buried in the graveyard opposite.


On the grounds of the church, Church Street West, Williamstown

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry

Municipality: Township of South Dundas