St. Johns

A sawmill built in 1792 on nearby Twelve Mile Creek by Benjamin Canby, an early entrepreneur, formed the nucleus of a settlement, which, by 1799, was called St. Johns. Other enterprising businessmen, notably John Darling and John Street, developed several mill sites and the flourishing community soon became the Niagara District's leading mill centre. A post-office was established in 1831, by which time the village contained numerous operations, including a woollen factory, foundry, tannery and several saw- and grist-mills. The completion of the Welland Canal and the rapid emergence of industries on that waterway hampered the further growth of St. Johns, and the decline was accelerated by the bypassing of the Short Hills area by the Great Western and Welland Railways, completed between 1853 and 1859.


On the grounds of 2984 Holland Road, St. Johns - northwest of Fonthill

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: Town of Pelham