St. Mark's Church

This church, a fine example of the early style of Gothic revival architecture, was built with the aid of funds subscribed by the British Admiralty and by settlers at Barriefield, many of whom had been employees of the Royal Navy dockyard at Navy Bay. John Bennett Marks, a naval paymaster, donated the land for a site. The corner-stone was laid by Bishop John Strachan, July 10, 1843, and the church, designed by Alfred Brunel, was opened by Archdeacon George Okill Stuart, July 7, 1844. The first rector, the Reverend John Pope, served from 1844-1846. The church was consecrated by the Rt. Reverend John Travers Lewis, first Bishop of Ontario, September 25, 1862.


On the grounds of the church, Barriefield - east of Kingston on County Road 2

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: County of Frontenac

Municipality: City of Kingston